The worker was standing on the track at the time of the incident, according to the NTSB, instead of safely to the side.

Metro General Manager John Catoe, who was with the transit system when the two accidents occurred, said numerous new safety rules have been instituted to prevent future fatalities. A high-ranking official in Metro’s tracks and infrastructures department was suspended recently, for example, after he ran afoul of a safety guideline. Those findings are expected later this year.

The operator of the train in the Eisenhower Avenue incident has been reassigned to work as a parking lot attendant.

The NTSB found that the operator of the train did not brake properly and was talking on a cell phone around the time of the incident, in violation of Metro policy.

The federal agency did not include any analysis, conclusions or recommendations in the hundreds of pages of documents it made public.

In the first accident, which occurred in May 2006, a train hit a worker at the Dupont Circle Metrorail station."

The operators of both trains involved in the fatalities are still employed at Metro. Among them, he said, is a zero-tolerance policy for workers who do not follow safety protocols.

The operator in the Dupont Circle incident went through extensive retraining and continues to operate trains.

jrogalsky@dcexaminer. One worker died instantly, the second a week later. "I am committed to making Metro the safest transit system in the country.

The penalty can be up to termination if the employee has previous violations," Catoe said. The publicized documents include interviews with Metro employees and copies of transit-system policies.

Safety rules were ignored last year in two incidents where Metro track inspectors died, according to documents the National Transportation Safety Board released Thursday. The NTSB, could not, however, determine if the cell phone conversation contributed to the death.